Dangers Of A Sewage Backup & The Importance Of A Proper Cleanup
Dealing with a flood, leak or other major water event is a stressful ordeal. Now add to that water some raw sewage. The risks and stress just increased tenfold. Whether it is sewage from a broken sewer line, a septic tank backup or a major clog, you must proceed with caution. Sewage water carries a wide variety of dangerous contaminates that can pose serious risks to those exposed. Sewage water can also seriously damage your home and belongings. If you discover a sewage backup in your Cleveland, Ohio property, you should let the trained and certified professionals help.
Dangers & Hazards Associated with Sewage Water in Cleveland Ohio Properties
When it comes to sewage backups, your property, your health and your safety are at stake. Raw sewage can render your building materials non-salvageable and the property damage can compromise the structural integrity of your building structure. The bacteria and viruses found in raw sewage can put you, your family and your property at risk.
- Health & Safety Hazards: Sewage water usually contains a variety of bacteria, viruses, and germs that can be hazardous to humans. If you do not take the necessary safety precautions when dealing with a sewage problem, you can be putting yourself and your family at risk.
- Property Damage & Structural Concerns: Raw sewage and sewage water can leave you with serious and costly property damage if it is not properly cleaned up in a timely manner. Porous building materials may be non-salvageable after contamination. If the property is not properly dried out, you may also be left with serious structural concerns, including compromised structural integrity.
- Fire Hazards: If the water level has reached any plugs, electrical outlets, extension cords, or gas-burning equipment, do not touch anything! Get out of the building immediately and call the professionals as the risk of a fire is enormous. If all your electrical equipment as well as the distribution panel is still safely above water, switch off the power as soon as you detect the problem.
For you and your family’s safety, sewage cleanup should be completed by a trained professional. A professional sewage cleanup company in Cleveland OH will be able to:
- Safely extract any sewage water
- Carefully remove any non-salvageable, sewage-contaminated belongings and building materials
- Properly complete an effective structural dryout
- Thoroughly sanitize the affected areas to restore safe conditions for you and your family.
Dealing With a Sewage Backup In My Cleveland Ohio Home
When faced with a sewage backup, it is best to leave the cleanup to the professionals. If you discover sewage water in your Ohio property, you should contact a sewage water extraction company in Cleveland Ohio. It can be dangerous to attempt cleanup on your own. Furthermore, an improper or insufficient cleanup can leave you with hidden moisture problems. However, here are some steps you can take while you wait for the arrival of the professionals.
- Evacuate the flooded and contaminated area. Keep children and pets away from the affected area.
- If it is safe to do so, turn off electrical power to the flooded area. If you cannot safely turn off the power, do not go near electrical devices.
- Stop use of the water supply system. Do not flush toilets or attempt to drain tubs and sinks – shut off the water valve for the main water line until the problem has been detected and taken care of.
- Do NOT attempt to use harsh chemicals to unclog the drainage system quickly and easily. Harsh chemicals can damage your pipes and sewer lines, leaving you with even more problems.
- Wear protective clothing and use protective equipment: gloves, goggles, rubber boots, face-masks, etc.
- Open windows to allow fresh air in and ventilate the affected space.
- Add small amounts of chlorine bleach to standing water for some disinfection
- Notify your municipal authority or sewer department if your home is connected to a public sewer.
- Notify your insurance company about the backup. Keep in mind that the sewage backup may not be covered under your insurance policy. An insurance agent will be able to provide you with more insight on what is covered under your specific policy.
- Contact a professional sewage cleanup company that will be able to safely and effectively handle the sewage cleanup and restore your property and peace of mind.
Remember that sewage backups should be dealt with as quickly as possible to prevent further, more costly damage. A team of specially trained sewage cleanup technicians will have the necessary equipment, professional grade cleaning agents and proper personal protection to complete a safe and effective cleanup. Improper or insufficient cleanup can leave you with more problems later down the line. An improper dryout can leave behind moisture in your porous building materials or hidden within wall voids and underneath flooring. Unaddressed moisture can lead to additional property damage and potential mold development.
If you are in need of professional sewage cleanup services, the specially trained technicians at Water Extraction Team (WET) are hear to help. Call our team today 440-276-6485!