Bathroom Mold Prevention & Water Damage Prevention
Bathroom mold prevention can be quick, easy and inexpensive with a few simple tips. Bathroom activities, like showering and hand washing, put a great deal of moisture into the environment that can lead to problems if homeowners don’t pay close attention to maintenance and cleaning. Bathrooms in Cleveland are constructed handle moisture from day-to-day bathroom activities; however, if you are not careful, excess moisture can lead to serious water damage and mold. Moisture control and mold prevention can be fairly inexpensive and simple. Cleveland homeowners just need to know what to look for and how to properly maintain the environment.
Bathroom Mold Prevention Tips For Cleveland Ohio Homeowners
Check the Plumbing – Regularly check for leaks and signs of plumbing issues. Assess for dampness around your bathroom pipes and seals. Excessive water intrusion can lead to serious mold problems and water damage.
- In the event of a plumbing leak, contact a professional in your Ohio area to immediately correct the issue. Unresolved leaks can turn a minor problem into a serious expense.
- If you are experiencing slow draining in your sink, bathtub, or shower, it can be an indication of a backup within the drainage system. Clogged drains can lead to expensive problems like water damage and mold — clear up the drains immediately.
Check for Signs Leaks- Pay attention to any discoloration on walls or floors, drywall bubbling, and musty smells. Touch the walls to check if any areas are softer than others. Look for leaks under vanities and ensure there are no leaks from the sink trap. If any of these problems exist, find the leak source and have it fixed.
Sufficient Air Circulation & Effective Ventilation- Humidity is a common issue bathrooms. If humid air gets trapped in the bathroom, moisture buildup can lead to damaged building materials and mold growth.
- Run exhaust fans during and after showers and baths.
- Check that your exhaust fans have enough pull to effectively ventilate humid air out and away from your Cleveland property.
- If you have bathroom windows, open them up to allow steam to escape.
- Keep doors closed when bathing or showering to keep warm, moist air away from dry areas of the home.
- Keep doors open when bathroom is not being used. It will increase air circulation throughout the day.
Regular Cleaning & Maintenance – Mold loves to breakdown dead, organic compounds like dirt, dust, hair, body oils, urine, feces, etc. Clean your bathrooms to keep dead, organic compounds to a minimum, so mold won’t have food to feed on.
- Routinely clean all surfaces — walls, floors, counters, shower stalls, bathtubs, toielts, etc
- Routinely clean all items and contents — shampoo bottles, toys, cups, containers, etc.
- Routinely wash or launder porous items — rugs, towels, shower curtains, etc.
Keep Surfaces Dry – Check to make sure that all your surfaces are dry, when possible and within reason. Use a towel and squeegee to dry all surfaces such as mirrors, tiles, glass, and walls.
Declutter- The more stuff the more surfaces for potential mold development. Remove unnecessary items in the bathroom to reduce the amount of wet surfaces for mold development. We tend to not touch or move unused items. If the items are sitting in moisture, mold can develop underneath the items and go unnoticed for unknown periods of time. Additionally, clutter restricts air circulation and can force moisture buildup in your Cleveland bathroom.
Bathroom Water Mitigation & Bathroom Mold Remediation In Cleveland Ohio
Despite all that you do, there will always be a chance that water can cause serious water damage and mold in your Cleveland bathroom. Sometimes, water damage and mold growth is unexpected and inevitable. If are faced with water damage and mold growth in your bathroom, you should contact a mold remediation professional and water mitigation company for help. The expert team a WET in Cleveland Ohio can help — call today 440-276-6386 to learn more about our mold remediation and water mitigation services in an Ohio area near you.